58 Main St


Address: 58 Main Street                                                       A.K.A. Name: Deyo & Son Store
Section, Block and Lot # 86.148-1-12                                    Date(s) of Construction:1893
 

Currently the home of the Cafeteria coffee shop and the Root Note Music Shop, 58 Main Street is a fine example of an eclectic local style, with a large, muntined glass store front, a brick exterior, and an ornate cornice with a central pedimented parapet embellished with brackets and end spires.  The windows on the upper level have stone lintels and sills, and above them, embedded in the brick facade, are four large terra cotta tiles, over which is noted the date of construction.  

The building has retained its historic function over the years as a commercial establishment on the lower level, housing the Muddy Cup Cafe, Endless Horizons, Not Fade Away, Body Works Toning and Tanning, and the long standing Bomze and Van Vlack Drugs, Inc. which operated from 1668 until 1987, among other businesses.  During this period the facade was altered considerably: the large glass store front was replaced by smaller, paneled windows and a single door was added under a large wood pentice covered with rough sawn shingles, in the Colonial Style.  The building served as a hardware, variety and appliance store between 1959 and 1968, and before that as The Grand Union Store and Mrs. Gregory’s Self Service Market, as well as Gregory’s Pharmacy from 1922 until 1944.

Solomon Deyo started construction on the building, a specialty store, in 1893, according to the plans of Poughkeepsie architect William J. Beardsley.  The 38 by 80-foot structure housed the glass-fronted store on the main floor, and was occupied by the family on the second.  The foundation, carpentry, tin, custom shelving, brick and other masonry work was done by craftsmen from the area (Abraham C. Brundage, Jesse Steen, Hasbrouck and Hayden, Mr. Mauterstock, Campbell and Dempsey).

Mr. Deyo’s old shed, replaced by the store front, was taken down and was replaced by a a 24 by 50-foot wooden store house in the rear which was used as a shed on the lower level and a storage room for goods on the second floor.  This former store house underwent some alterations and additions in recent years and is now the popular entertainment complex of the Oasis Cafe, Cabaloosa, and Katana Sake Bar.

Image Credits: Historic Preservation Commission of the Village of New Paltz; Sojourner Truth Library Postcard Collection 
Sources:  Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection, Elting Memorial Library


 


58 Main on left


Main Street Postcard



Main St (Colour)

58 Main (2012)




Tax parcel Number 86.143-1-12.100
Street number 58
Street Name Main St
Present Use Commercial
Historic Function Commerce/ Trade
Historic Use Specialty Store
Date of Construction 1893
Dates of alteration  
Style Classical Revival
No. of Stories 2
Construction method brick
Exterior material: historic 1 brick
Exterior material: historic 2  
Exterior material: present  
Roof Type hipped
Roof Material asphalt
Foundation Material brick
Additions  
Porch location 1  
Porch condition  
Window condition intact
Overall integrity altered
Contributing Yes
Endangered No
Distinctive features storefront stuccoed & windows altered, brick end piers painted; large wood pentice added w/ rough sawn shingles; pressed metal cornice w/ central pedimented parapet, brackets & end spires; terra cotta tiles embedded in façade, stone headers & sills
Notes  
Outbldg 1 type  
Outbldg 1 date  
Outbuilding Condition  
Outbldg 1 distinctive features  
Outbldg 2 type  
Outbldg 2 date  
Landscape features paved parking lot on S side

Designed by CRREO at SUNY New Paltz