Van den Berg

 

Van den Berg
(also known as van den Berg School of Practice, Campus School, Campus Learning Center)

 

Meant to accommodate growing "Normal Department" which the New Paltz Academy (given to the State in 1885 to maintain the Normal program) could not meet. Was designed by the state architect and approved by Dr. van den berg in October 1929. "A Training School built about one hundred feet west of the present building. It will face the Hasbrouck Memorial Park [and will be] 364 feet long and 60 feet wide with one wing, 80 ft by 50 ft for a gymnasium and a music room, running eastward back toward the present building" .                          

Ground was broken on October 25th 1930 during a ceremony in which Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt addressed the town. The governor was over an hour late to the podium because "such crowds turned out to see him that his progress, if triumphal was impeded, the party passed through a heavy rain storm that caused further delay"                    

The building was dedicated May 29th 1934 as the "Lawrence H. van den Berg School of Practice" and the first ninth grade students were accepted September 10th, 1934. The school became the "New Paltz State Teachers College" in 1942, with Lawrence H. van den Berg as the first president. In 1968, 9th grade was dropped and replaced by Primary and Middle School level grades (Nursery to 8th Grade). The last graduation ceremony was held on June 3, 1982. In January 1990, the school re-opened as a part of SUNY New Paltz Campus. On May 19, 1990, a fire in the clock tower was reported at 2:44 a.m. and destroyed the clock tower and several faculty offices and classrooms. The metal roof prevented the fire from spreading further  . Emergency repair of the roof in the excess of $30-40,000 began shortly after and by late July. An $11 million dollar restoration project was proposed in April ($8 million of which was raised by SUNY Construction Fund Capital Funding and $100,000 from Ulster Savings Bank, the remainder coming from private donors). The new clock tower was built by Campbellsville Industries in Kentucky at a total cost of   $495,000 and was finally hoisted into position (in three pieces) in early January 2005.


 

 

 

HHHC  van den berg Learning Center: includes the campus school       (booklet and folder of images)  Pics of fire,

Haviland Heidgerd Historical Collection, Elting Memorial Library

 



Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library


Courtesy of the Haviland-Heigerd Historical Collection at the Elting Memorial Library

Designed by CRREO at SUNY New Paltz