11 Old Rte 299


A picture from Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection indicates that this two-story, wood frame structure was once a blacksmith’s, a wagon marker’s shop, a general store, a post office, hotel, and restaurant owned by Webster Sherman in the 1900’s. It has a cross gable roof, brick façade on the first floor and the one-story side addition, a second story gable articulation over center entrance on, and sits on a foundation of brick and concrete blocks. There have been an extensive number of alterations, making the original architecture difficult to determine, three of which are a one-story extension on the east side and a one-story ell on the west side, and the removal of the side porch. Today, this construction serves as a specialty store.


 


Tax parcel Number87.9-1-16
Street number11
Street NameOld Rte 299
Present UseCommercial
Historic FunctionCommercial/Trade
Historic UseSpecialty Store
Date of Construction1836
Dates of alteration1900 1950 1970
StyleUndetermined
No. of Stories2
Construction methodwood frame
Exterior material: historic 1wood clapbd
Exterior material: historic 2
Exterior material: presentbrick, asbestos shingles
Roof Typecross-gable
Roof Materialasphalt
Foundation Materialbrick, conc. bl.
Additions1-story ext. to east; 1-story west side ell
Porch location 1wrap
Porch conditionremoved
Window conditionaltered
Overall integrityaltered
ContributingYes
EndangeredNo
Distinctive featuresbrick façade on 1st fl. of f.f. & side 1-story addition; 2nd story gable articulation over center entrance on f.f.
NotesPic from Havilund Hild. Historical Coll.: indicates it was a blacksmith, wagon-maker's shop, gen. store, PO, hotel & rest.; owned by Webster Sherman in 1900s; difficult to determine orig. arch due to extensive alterations
Outbldg 1 type
Outbldg 1 date
Outbldg 1 construction method
Outbldg 1 distinctive features
Outbldg 2 type
Outbldg 2 date
Landscape features

Designed by CRREO at SUNY New Paltz