2 Plattekill Ave

2 Plattekill Avenue (The Old Savings Bank)

86.34-2-16

The cornerstone of the building at 2 Plattekill Avenue was laid in July of 1891 for The Savings Bank. The structure that remains today looks very much as it did in 1891.

The architect was A.F. Mason of Kingston. A three-story building, it was constructed of pressed brick and Long Meadow red stone, a Massachusetts sandstone. The front had "a mansard elevation" and a tin roof and the building was heated by hot air. John McCollough of Rondout had the contract for the mason work and Jesse Steen Jr. of New Paltz was hired for the carpentry work. The total cost for the building was recorded in the local paper in 1892 as $9500.

The first story was occupied by the bank; the second and third were living quarters.
The Herring & Company safe weighed ten tons and was furnished with a timing lock.
The handsome interior was finished in ash.

The building was renovated in 1935 and became the long low building with sandstone veneer we see today. The south façade was banded with a tall fascia course and a shallow cornice. A central entrance pavilion was added with a dentil course and a parapet wall. Planting boxes with a stone face at base were added to the flanking wings with trimmed box hedges.

In March 1977 new drive up facilities were added, as well as a walk-up window.

Image Credits: Historic Preservation Commission of the Village of New Paltz; Sojourner Truth Library Postcard Collection

Sources: Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection, Elting Memorial Library

Keywords/tags:
Savings Bank
A. F. Mason

 

Old Savings Bank

Old Saving Bank (2012)

Bank Spire

Bank Window





This property is flagged because of its inclusion in the 2004 Neil Larson and Associates Reconnaissance Level Survey, available here.

Designed by CRREO at SUNY New Paltz